This morning I was checking some details of our holiday booking and saw that our cruise price is currently on sale. So I rang up the company and asked if I could have it for the reduced price. After a bit of negotiating, including giving up a free bottle of wine, a photo and some on board credit, I ended up saving just over $400. When I was younger I was always too shy to ask for a discount or negotiate a better deal. Now that I am older I have learned that there is nothing to lose by asking so I’m happy to try and save where I can.
On the investment property front we got approval this morning to install a second air conditioner unit. We rang our accountant about it and his advice was to go ahead and do it in this tax year so we’ll get that done in the next few weeks. That will improve it for us when we eventually move in as well as add value to the property.
well it’s time for Sunday Night Chit Chat again, hosted by Carla at My 1/2 Dozen Daily
What am I:
- Reading: I’m reading Daughter of Destiny – Benazir Bhuttos’ Autobiography. What an amazing woman she was! I got it out of the library after watching a documentary on TV last week about her. I love ‘real life’ stories and I’m enjoying this a lot.
- Listening to: I do miss my audio books now that I don’t have 20 hours a week to listen to them lol! But what I am listening to at the moment is lessons in speaking Japanese. Today I learned how to say ” Excuse me” and ” soy sauce” – Its a lot of fun even though I’m very slow. I’ve never tried to learn another language before.
- Watching: Right now I’m watching Supernatural. wanted to watch the Oscars live but no one is showing it so we’ll just have to wait for a bit longer!
- Cooking/Baking: This morning I cooked up a lovely batch of my rice and fruit porridge. I do a batch each week for the freezer and I have it every day with a little coconut sugar on it. Delicious!
- Happy you accomplished this week: I spent quite a lot of time this week going over my superannuation portfolio of shares and doing calculations, setting goals and reading up on share investing.
- Looking forward to next week: Next weekend I am determined to get back to my quilting! I’m doing Leah Days year long Building Blocks Quilt Along and I’ve fallen behind, can’t wait to be sewing again!
- Thankful for today: A quiet day – every client I had cancelled :) it gave me a chance to get some work caught up.
- Bonus Question: Will you be tuning into the OSCARS tonight? I’d love to but unfortunately it’s not shown live here, not even on TV tonight, so we’ll have to wait…
I thought I’d try and get back in the habit of monthly financial reports and I also wanted to set some goals. So here’s how things stand at the start of March:
Mortgage balance: $188,627 - my goal for this month is to hit the next milestone of $187,160 which is the end of Year 5 balance
Emergency Fund: $311 - my goal is to get this back up to $1000.
My retirement funds: Current value is Cash – $2723 Shares – $40,018 – My goal is a balance of $52,000 by the end of the year.
We had a lot of expenses this month so most of our funds went to paying bills and getting a small buffer in place for each of the investment properties. DH had a trip down to IP #2 today to do some minor repairs so that was another added expense.
We also had to buy a new washing machine after our old one died. We got a lovely new front loader for just under $500, usual price was over $700 but I got the price from Appliances Online and Harvey Norman was happy to do it for the same amount which was great! I’ve learned that sometimes all you need to do is ask for discount and often you get it.
The other exciting news this month was that I paid a deposit on a trip to Japan! We now have a travel budget and I had a great time working out where to travel to first and Japan it is! I must say it is wonderful to have something to look forward to. On the health front I’ve lost just over 5lbs.
All in all February has been a good month for us.