Well it’s the time of year to think about setting goals for 2013. This year I’ve included non financial goals as well. There’s more to life than paying off debt and I’ll be blogging about more than finances next year as I try and reclaim time and energy for that simple, downsized life I’m aiming for!. Here’s our goals for 2013:
New for us car: we really cannot put this off any longer! we have budgeted $8000 maximum to buy a small car for me. DH has his car up for sale and will buy a motorbike or a scooter when it sells. I also need to sell or trade up Dad’s old car.
Groceries: $250 per month + $3000 per year. track spending each week. Maintain stockpile.
Emergency Fund: $5000 by end of year.
Mortgage: Stretch goal (if I keep my job!) is to reach an end of Year 18 total of $124,807. If I lose my job we’;ll reassess then.
Make own cleaning products: I used to make all my own cleaning products and soaps years ago and as things run out this year I’ll be going back to making them again.
- paint inside of house and carpet front room
- lay pavers under pergola
- repair retaining walls
- new curtains
- new kitchen
- replant garden beds – low maintenance
Holiday Travel!: I am no longer putting off traveling. I had planned to take a trip to celebrate my 50th birthday and our 30th wedding anniversary. Instead I spent them both on bed rest, in a lot of pain, having to cancel my original plans. Life is short and good health is precious. All my life I’ve wanted to travel and I’m not risking missing out due to old age and health issues by putting if off till later. it’s time! I made a decision and booked a trip while I was crook, – a cruise for mid 2013! -more details in a later post
LIFE! Back before I started this blog and before Dad got sick and came to live with us, I felt like I had a life outside of being a carer and working. I loved to garden, to sew and do craft/homesteading type activities, go bush walking and see friends.. It quickly went all by the wayside as other things took priority. So I am setting some goals for 2013 to help me get back to doing those things that I love:
- sew 6 dolls for the Uthando project – I love this project, I used to work as a play therapist so it’s close to my heart
- finish DD’s crocheted rug. start knitting, crocheting, sewing & patch-working again.
- learn how to make jewelery
- start a container garden for fruit and vegetables. ( I can no longer physically maintain a big garden!)
- track produce from garden
- reach goal weight of 62kgs
- regular exercise program when cleared (gym & swimming). At present I am on a three month ‘holiday’ from my gym as still unable to do any weight bearing exercises for some time yet.
- attend two meditation retreats
- dinner or lunch out with a friend or with DH once a month
How about you? What are your goals for 2013?
“I’ve learned that making a “living” is not the same thing as making a “life.”" — Maya Angelou